Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Abstract Draft

Dealing with the program of a residence hall comes along with a lot of program. Improvement increases the burden of design that much further. At the root of the problems of the Wallace Residence Center, is the strict delineation between public and private spaces, and the reduced access to community because of it. There are spaces that are defined as community spaces, but they are often empty and unused because they are out of the way and closed off. I believe there is a need to activate these spaces and use architectural language to encourage interaction of the users.

In order to inform my design, I plan on interviewing Dee Dee Kanikkeberg, the head of University of Idaho Student Housing. I would like to hear from her what she believes is lacking within Wallace since it houses the most students as well as housing her office. I would also like to know the difficulties she has seen, from her side, which could be “blamed” on the architecture. The limits that she sees, from outside of the profession of architecture, could very well be some of the most valuable information I acquire. There are also financial restraints on such a project which she would have access to. The amount of current residents and/or the amount of students they would like to hold in a dormitory in that spot would be valuable for technical application, and would be required for design.


The installment is a conceptual experimentation of blending public and private space. These windows into people’s private lives serve as a boundary examination; when does this blending become uncomfortable. There is the question of why we experience discomfort with the public/shared realm and how that can be incorporated into an inherently shared structure.

No comments:

Post a Comment